Applying for a rental property can be a daunting process, especially if you’re a first-time renter. However, with a little bit of preparation and knowledge, you can make the application process go smoothly. Here are some tips to assist you with your application:
- Be prepared in terms of your application. Have all the necessary documents ready, such as photocopies of your Drivers Licence or Passport, proof of income, and any written references. This also includes preparing your Referees- let them know to expect an email or phone call from the Property Manager.
- Be honest. Don’t lie or exaggerate on your application. Property Managers will check your information, and if they find discrepancies, it can hurt your chances of being accepted.
- Be prompt. Submit your application as soon as possible. Most Property Managers review applications on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Include a Cover letter with your application. This really personalises your application and gives the Rental Provider a good understanding of who you are. Include things like: hobbies, interests and your reason for applying.
- Ensure everyone over the age of 18 years old applies for the property. It is good practice for everyone to be on the Lease agreement and generates rental history for each person which is very important.
- Be respectful in all your interactions with the Property Manager and Rental Provider. This can help you stand out from other applicants.
- Get a copy of your current/past rent payments, this is called a “Tenant Ledger”. Include this with your application.
- Be flexible. If you’re having trouble finding a rental property that meets all your requirements, consider being flexible on some of your preferences.
Remember, applying for a rental property is just the first step in the process. Be patient and persistent, and you’ll soon find the right rental property for you.
If you have any questions about rental properties, the state of the rental market, or anything else, please feel free to give us a call on 5277 2727. You can also connect on our Facebook page too.
Our page can be found at https://www.facebook.com/GeelongPM